Let’s not do that again

My weekend was supposed to be filled with homework, visiting with , and watching the Vikings win (OK, so I don’t really care about that last bit, but I had to throw it in). Oh, and a lovely massage on Friday night. Boy, am I glad I got that massage. Saturday just as and I were finishing up recovering her chairs (she just needed to cut off the extra fabric and re-attach the seats), called to give me an update on the Big Thing That Changed The Weekend, and I had to rush off. See, Friday night started having stomach pains, and by Saturday morning they were so bad that she went to the emergency room. called at that point to let me know I might be needed later in the day. She took the boys, but had a wedding to officiate (can’t really get out of that) later in the day, and it looked like she might need surgery. As it turned out, she had appendicitis and they scheduled a laparoscopic surgery in the afternoon to remove it.

I remained very level headed about the whole thing (you can ask or if you doubt me), but there was a point while driving up to the hospital where I freaked out just a little bit, until I remembered that God is BIG and I didn’t need to worry. That calmed me down quite a bit. In the end, I did a lot of sitting in various waiting rooms. One of the nurses took great care of me though (gave me her number and told me to call her at certain times), and the doctor came out and explained everything to me (along with giving me a nice glossy photograph of the appendix). For all but 5 minutes of my 2 1/2 hours of waiting, I was the only person in the waiting room. Apparently weekends are slow days for surgery.

didn’t wake up until got back, which was fine – I sat and read my book for a half hour, looking up every few minutes to watch her breathe peacefully. She looked a little pale, but nothing more than you’d expect after surgery. When she did wake up, she was hilarious (“Am I spending the night here?”), and doesn’t remember any of the conversation we had. Yesterday she was feeling pretty good (except for the 3 incisions), and we talked on the phone for quite a while. She gets to go home sometime later today. Unfortunately, no lifting for 2-4 weeks, which is a bit of a problem with two active boys, including one that can’t walk yet. But, between and all of their friends (church and otherwise), I’m sure they’ll be fine. She’ll take a week or two off of work, since corralling kindergarteners isn’t exactly relaxing and stress-free.

In the end, my presence was barely needed, but had anything gone differently, I’m glad I went. I did a quick mental inventory during the moment of almost panic, and knew that she knew how much I love her and there were no regrets. If there’s anything I learned in the past two years, it’s that you should make the time to be with the ones you love and make sure they know what’s in your heart, because life is always shorter than we wish it was.

Sunday I did more homework and then watched the Vikings almost win the game. At least we didn’t embarrass ourselves like we did in Arizona. Ahem.

This week is a bit stressful at work, since the feds are in town. I’m trying to figure out how to discuss the laptop issue with my Tuesday night professor in a non-offensive way. So far, all I’ve come up with is, “help me understand why you don’t want students to use laptops,” followed by “because it seems so contrary to the goals of this program and such an antiquated point of view.” I don’t think the antiquated part would go over well. And really, I’m trying to be respectful, but it’s hard when she doesn’t respect me enough to allow me this one small freedom. I certainly don’t want to call her out on that, but it’s on the tip of my tongue. I really don’t do confrontation well, but this is kind of a big deal, and we’re only three weeks into the semester. I’d rather clear it up sooner than later. Any advice?