It was a long weekend

So long, in fact, that I woke up at 5:50 on Sunday morning, tapped on the head, and noted that I forgot to set the alarm and we were now late for work. He was sleepy, but more lucid than I was, because he promptly told me I had the day wrong. It took me quite a while to get back to sleep.

The quick recap is that we saw 11 houses on Saturday, and while we were doing that our favorite house sold. So we looked at 8 more yesterday, for a grand total of 26 houses since Tuesday. We’ve got it narrowed down to 3, and it seems like there’s a clear front-runner, but it’s a big decision, so best not to get ahead of ourselves.

After running the numbers last night (yes, we’re big dorks and had a spreadsheet and ranked different qualities of the houses and location and so forth), we were still weighing our options. And then I did 3 hours of reading on the Israel-Pakistan issue. And then we were still undecided so we went to bed. I lay awake for what felt like forever (but was honestly only an hour and a half) weighing options and not feeling tired. And then I dreamt about houses, all night long. And woke up thinking about houses. And all of our messaging today has been about houses. Houses, houses, houses on the brain (that would not make a very good song).

What’s nice about this decision is that both and I have figured out, independently, that we would be happy at all 3 houses. Also, I just realized that there would be no reason for a kitchen remodel in any of the houses, and that excited me a bit (because I’m totally cool with home improvement projects, but remodeling a kitchen just sounds like a lot of decision-making that I’m not prepared for).

From the rejected houses, you would not believe some of the stuff we saw. Ugly carpeting and linoleum doesn’t even begin to describe it. There were also many lovely houses that just weren’t for us. And lots of houses that smelled like old people (you know what I’m talking about).

We also packed up some stuff. Ran out of boxes, in fact. And got a second storage unit to put said boxes into.

Soon, the decision will be made, we’ll be in a new house, and my piano will have a brand new home. And the cats will be freaking out. But that’s to be expected. They are, after all, crazy. If you move something on the floor two inches, it’s brand new and needs to be sniffed, explored, checked for boogie monsters…. I can only imagine how much fun moving will be. On the bright side, there might be pictures of cats in boxes posted. Who doesn’t love that?