Mini Quilt in a Bag Swap Completed

Well, my partner Tom [link removed] and I have both received our quilts, so I can post pictures and talk about them now. I received this lovely work of art  on Monday:

Mini Quilt in a Bag - Received from Tom
Mini Quilt in a Bag Swap Received

Isn’t it lovely? If you look closely, you can see the little ladybug who’s left tracks all across the surface. Such marvelous hand-quilting! In person, the colors look better together than they do here – some of them seem a little off in this picture. I know Tom had a hard time with that ric rac, but doesn’t it look adorable? I sent some baby ric rac, which isn’t exactly fun to work with (I also sent some yellow ribbon, so he could choose). The red bandana fabric is left over from my Christmas Star Wall Hanging. The others were fat quarters I picked up “just because,” and the black Tom threw in from his own stash.

He included these with it:

Mini Quilt in a Bag - Received from Tom - Extras
(Sorry the picture is so bad – it was dark and this was the best I could do.)

Aren’t they just wonderful? If you’ve peeked at his blog, you know that Tom spends his time doing creative things in his retirement – mainly quilting and carving. I love that these darlings can now live at my house!

Additionally, I can now rave on about the quilt I made for him. I have to admit, I was quite smitten with it. I adored the fabrics he sent, especially the vintage floursack reprint (the red with blue flowers), which I featured prominently.

Mini Quilt in a Bag Swap for Tom
Mini Quilt in a Bag Swap Sent

I used Japanese Quilt Blocks to Mix and Match, which is a great book. The instructions aren’t terribly detailed (photograph, diagram, some arrows), but I managed to figure them out with minimal ripping (those checkerboard squares were the worst). You can tell how enamored I am with this quilt by the volume of pictures I took of it. Ridiculous, really. The funny thing is that I don’t really like red and blue together. This really worked, though. The only fabric I added was the light blue, which was a fat quarter I received for free with a purchase from an Etsy vendor, and is linen-like in texture (also, it’s a Japanese print, which seemed appropriate). The only thing I didn’t like was how the corners on the binding turned out. I sewed it on wrong, and then had to cut some off, but there was no way to compensate for the corners…. It’s very hard to notice unless you look for it though, or maybe if it’s hung up on a stark white wall. I did have fun trying to figure out how to quilt each square, since they all called for something different. In the end, I used three different colors of thread on top to get it right. Whew!

I think it’s time to figure out the best way to hang these on the wall, since I now have 3 doll or wall-sized quilts. I’m currently accepting suggestions….